Every day is a new beginning; every morning we have an opportunity to start fresh, if we are open and willing to embrace something new. As the holiday season moves into full swing, your attitude and perspective, which are within your control, can make this holiday season easier and even more loving and fulfilling.
This is not just about putting a smile on your face and denying all the problems, stress and difficulties that your life and the holidays present. This is about feeling empowered to shift your attitude and perspective, and then create and manage your boundaries and expectations.
Have you thought about how you might WANT to participate in the holidays, and what energy you can bring to them to really make a difference? Too often we feel powerless to make changes whether it’s due to tradition, family demands or obligations, or you feel too overwhelmed to make any changes at all.
You have an opportunity to step into your life consciously and purposefully, and that means facing the upcoming holidays with clear intentions. When you’re feeling stressed, overwhelmed, burdened &/or tired, because of all your daily responsibilities, it’s all too easy to simply exist on auto pilot. You then enter into the holidays with feelings of exhaustion, frustration, anxiety and even some depression.
You might consider that some good things happen during the holidays, but at the time they happened, you were just too busy, stressed or overwhelmed to really take note of it or appreciate it. It’s great, if at the end of the day you can acknowledge the positive moments and make note of them. Write them down; honor them in hindsight to recall to help uplift your mood.
Life is filled with stresses, fears, uncertainties, and struggles. Caregiving for a loved one adds to these stresses, but there are things we can do to ease our tensions and stress so that you can consciously focus on moments and experiences of joy and pleasure.
This doesn’t mean that you ignore or deny the challenges that are in your life, especially in preparation and during the holidays, this is about bringing a different energy and attitude to them. Irving Berlin stated: “Our attitudes control our lives. Attitudes are a secret power working twenty-four hours a day, for good or bad. It is of paramount importance that we know how to harness and control this great force.”
6 Steps to Creating a Better Day and better holiday experiences:
- What is My Desired Outcome? Before getting out of bed, stretch, breathe and say out loud: “Today is a brand-new day. All good things are possible. I am open to seeing, hearing and receiving blessings in my life.” Setting a positive intention for your day makes a huge difference.
- And We Breathe: A slow, deep breath gives you pause to take in any given moment. It helps you to be fully present in any given moment and in any given activity. This breath helps you to be more in tune with all the good that is in your day, as well as helps you to breathe through the stressful and upsetting or aggravating moments. Taking that breath helps you experience the pleasure of being productive, compassionate, aware, feeling connected to friends, family, co-workers, etc. and these are emotional and mental highs in your day!
- Create a positive environment: Look around your home, your loved one’s space, and/or workspace and see what could to be modified so that you create a space that feels loving and respectful of you. Start small by adding a picture, clearing clutter, adding decorations that you love, etc. Start small because even small changes can make a big impact on your mood and attitude.
- No complaining, just problem solving. If something is problematic for you, rather than complaining about it, focus on solutions (desired outcomes). When you are working towards solutions, you will not feel as stuck. Be willing to think outside the box!
- Set healthy boundaries: As the holiday season makes even more demands on your time than usual, make sure you are respectful of your own needs and feelings. You don’t have to say ‘yes’ to everything and every request, no matter how guilty you may feel. Think about what’s most important to you and remember that your needs and feelings matter as much as anyone else’s.
- Life is about attitude: Pick a good one. Empower your day and your life by honoring and respecting the fact that your attitude does make a difference!
Today, and moving forward in your life can be different. Be aware of your thoughts and attitude. Take that deep breath whenever you feel yourself mired in old habits and start over. Think about all the opportunities in your day to practice new thoughts, new intentions, and new possibilities. Make these 6 steps a regular part of your day, and you’ll see a huge difference in yourself, the holiday season, and ultimately, in your life!
For additional support and guidance, access your own Step by Step Guide. Wishing you ease, serenity, empowerment and love through the holiday season and beyond.
And we breathe… Loren